Monday, August 4, 2008

Mi primero fin de semana

I have officially been in Querétaro a week! After finishing classes friday I went home and collapsed, speaking Spanish so much is certainly tiring. It's a good thing I didn't go out friday night because on Saturday our group took a trip to Bernal about an hour away from Querétaro. Bernal is famous for its monolith, one huge piece of rock kinda like an iceberg with only a piece of the whole formation visible above ground. We hiked a good ways up the monolith and had an amazing view. The hike was more difficult than i thought it would be in part because of the increased elevation and the route we chose. It definitely seemed worth it though as we ate lunch up top with amazing views all around. After we descended we spent some time in the town of Bernal which is much more touristy than Querétaro. After we returned to Querétaro I was exhausted and took an extra long siesta. Somehow though around 9:30 I managed to find the energy to go out to a local bar called Barro KDA (like barracuda).
Sunday was a wonderful day of rest. I only left the house in the evening to go with my señora and señor to visit some family. My señora's brother did not approve of my American pronunciation. So for the next 45 minutes I was being drilled on how to say my "R's" roja, rey, carro, arroyo, etc. He even took a page out of My Fair Lady and had me reciting "the rain in spain falls mainly on the plans!" He was very nice but es muy insistente, or persistent.
Today it's back to classes including a field trip to the mercado to practice our food vocabulary.
Hasta luego.
besos,
Cara

2 comments:

Jess said...

Sounds like you're having fun! I especially like the story about your senora's brother - it reminded of me of when I was learning Spanish in high school. My best friend's family is from Mexico and they always use to quiz me on vocabulary and my pronunciation. It definitely kept me on my toes!

I hope you keep having fun, I want to see tons of pictures! I miss you mucho :)

Unknown said...

Hi. Just got back from KC - hot and humid!

Sounds like a terrific experience. You can link your photos through Picasa weblink on your blog. That's what SJH did - assuming you can transfer them to your pc.

Buenas noches
¡Buena suerte!

Oh, by the way, you have competition, I am now the Godmother for Olivia, Jimmy's baby!

L, E